Mar 31, 2020
This week we have an exceptional
guest joining us in The Inner Circle; his job is to change
It's an honor to
introduce Mike House; he is the President and CEO of the Stollery
Children's Hospital Foundation, committed to funding excellence at
the Stollery Children's Hospital and children's health priorities.
The Foundation's vision is "to give kids the best chance at a long
and healthy life".
Over the past seven years, he
has raised over $170 million towards children's health in Alberta.
With more than 50 workers and 100,000 donors giving annually to the
cause, the Foundation raises over $32 million annually in support
of this vision by graciously asking for money, saying thank you,
and sharing the impact donors make towards improving children's
health in Alberta, Canada.
He loves being a fundraiser and
story-teller and lives his motto "build the uncommon bridge", every
Let's dig in!
What You'll Hear in This Episode:
- I remember when I was a medical reporter at CTV News, I got to
witness life-changing stories, but there was one that stood out. I
saw life in its rawest form.
- Introducing our guest, he embodies voluntarism, community support
and the beauty of human spirit.
- Mike shares his unmanageable story and why it's so essential for
him to help others in need.
- Since an early age, Mike knew what his objective was; it became
his sole goal to make it real. He knew the odds of failure, but he
bet on himself because he understood the impact it could bring to
- Mike's dream job was to help anyone he could; the objective was
simple, to manage the Stollery Children's Hospital Foundation. Mike
created a plan and took action toward it.
- His plan succeeded, Mike took over the Foundation and led to
expansion, he managed to raise more money than anyone before,
resulting in allowing the Hospital to dream big and provide the
level of care regular hospitals can't deliver.
- Dealing with kids is very different from dealing with adults, so
he focused on "Family-Centred Care", gathering the techniques and
equipment necessary to do so.
- One of the upcoming projects for Mike and the Foundation is to
help children with sensory issues, create a space where they can
release their stress and anxiety.
- Hospitals need the Foundation to create the necessary experiences
and fill the gap to get to the next level. By helping the children
when they need to and how they need it, we can save time and money
in the future, allowing them to create a healthier and happier
- Mike tells us a bit about what his daily work is and the effects
generated in him by helping the society.
- Each year, there are more volunteers to help the Foundation; they
had become an army. Over 2000+ people are actively involved, all
ages, all shapes, all communities trying to make a
- Mike talks about the power of women, the different programs focus
on delivering an amazing experience for the children and their
parents, and the world-changing results we can create.
- 46:07: Mike shares the lessons he is most proud
of, and the situations that have resonated with him the
your community, if you want to be great, you have to
- "Those residual things become part of who you
are, physically, emotionally, intellectually; they are the
motivators to overcome".
would never ever wish that anything had happened differently
because I am a better person because of what I went
you take that length it changes your perspective on what you would
can convince the community that this is a worthwhile, important
cause, that we'll set kids up to be great healthy adults in the
do things around the hospital to take care not just the patient,
not just the child but the whole (family) unit".
- "Children don't have a grey area, they are
black or white; either they are happy, or they're sad, and if they
are sad, they are not motivated to get out of bed and get better.
They don't understand why it's important, but if you can get them
to play, if you can get them excited about healing, you can
actually speed up the process to go home sooner".
Instagram - @Stollery Kids
Twitter - @mikebungalow
Journey Into the Inner Circle:
@Carrie Doll -